Thursday, November 10, 2005

For 24 hours, I went through the Israeli experience.

I know I'm late to comment on this, but for the past 24 hours, I was a complete mess. I was working the phones like a madman to find out if my cousin Rami, who's a Canadian Citizen, was among those who were killed in the blasts (he works in the Amman Radisson SAS) I just found out an hour ago that while he was on shift during the explosions, he was not hurt.

For a while there, I actually got a glimpse of what it was like to be an Israeli citizen following a suicide bombing.

The phone Lines to Jordan were jammed. I couldn't get a hold of anyone. I sent out over 50 e-mails to family and friends throughout the Middle East to ask if they heard anything (they were in a bigger panic mode than I was), I was glued to Al-Jazeera trying to find out every detail. I haven't slept since, I became an instant chain smoker (24 hours ago I never even touched a cigarette), I couldn't even sit down for more than 10 seconds. Up until when my mother called me, and informed me that he was ok.


You know I really have no clue how the Israeli people manage to go through this every time there's an attack, and still manage to stay sane afterwards. I don't know how you can go through something like this more than once and still be have knowledge that your going to go through another one eventually.

I gotta get some sleep.

12 Comments:

At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Anonymous soup said...

I keep checking your site for new postings. Too bad this is what it was. I'm happy to hear your cousin is well.

PS - i read your debate with Right of Centre Ice a while back. You were awesome!

 
At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Blogger DirtCrashr said...

Lucky thing for your cousin! Glad to see Jordanians shouting, "Burn in hell, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi!"

 
At Friday, 11 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only the Israelis - the Iraqis have a bombing like this almost every day.

 
At Friday, 11 November, 2005, Blogger The Arabian Knight said...

True.

 
At Friday, 11 November, 2005, Blogger W.L. Mackenzie Redux said...

I went though the same experience but they called it a tax audit. ;-)

 
At Saturday, 12 November, 2005, Blogger Louise said...

I'm glad your cousin is okay. If you've read Nadz's blog, she also has relatives and friends there and really ripped into mr. cow pee.

 
At Tuesday, 15 November, 2005, Blogger Canadi-anna said...

All things like this really are different when you know someone. It doesn't matter how empathetic we are, panic only sets in when it's someone we love.
Glad to hear you found your cousin well and fine.

 
At Tuesday, 15 November, 2005, Blogger The Arabian Knight said...

Thanks Canadianna, glad to see your back in the blogspere!

 
At Tuesday, 15 November, 2005, Blogger yochanan said...

this is very true, I have family in Israel and when a bomb went off on a bus that stopped near were my wife's cousin lives we had to call. My wife's cousin lives in a part of Israel - haifa which has a very mixed population, and members of all the different groups have been killed by terrorist attacks.

 
At Tuesday, 15 November, 2005, Blogger KNL said...

This is also the Algerian experience. Heathens can ruin your day quite easily.

Nouri

 
At Monday, 21 November, 2005, Blogger Winston said...

cool

 
At Thursday, 15 July, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

借錢 借貸 票貼

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home