Sunday, January 22, 2006

"You've never been to China or South America? Your an idiotic bigot who doesn't understand Canada"-Paul Martin

Thanks goes out to Joel Johannesen from Proudtobecanadian for bringing my attention to the latest Paul Martin breakdown. From the Globe and Mail yesterday: (emphasis mine)

He said that with the rise of economies in China and India, Canadians need to understand other economies to hold their own. He suggested that a leader cannot have an independent foreign policy unless he has traveled. And he said a leader who has not traveled will not understand today’s multi-cultural Canada.

"To understand Canada today and never having been to China, never having been to South America, never having been to parts of Asia? I’ve got to tell you there’s got to be huge gaps in your understanding of what the modern Canada today is all about.”


Wow! There you have folks! For the 90 per cent of us (I'm being very generous here) who've never been to India, China or South America, were simply economically-ignorant racists who don't really "understand" our "modern" country. I don't know what to say really. I'll just let you make your own conclusions regarding this statement. But what really pissed me off in this article was Paul Martin's bold-face lie regarding Harper's foreign travels:

“Stephen Harper hasn’t left the country? I was just told that apparently he said he’d been to Mexico but he’d never left continental North America,” he said, apparently forgetting that Mr. Harper had traveled with him on the prime ministerial jet to veterans’ ceremonies in Italy, Holland, and Ireland. “Well, I find that unbelievable. It is such an opening that I don’t know how to take advantage of it.”


A trip of such importance and significance cannot possibly have escaped Paul Martin's memory. So I won't buy this "He may have forgot" excuse. Is there anyone out there that can really defend this guy with a straight face? Anyway, regarding Harper's foreign travels:

However, Mr. Harper has traveled to Italy, Holland, Great Britain, Ireland, Greece, the U.S., and Mexico.

6 Comments:

At Sunday, 22 January, 2006, Anonymous Andrew Brehm said...

I don't understand why multiculturalism is so important?

Cannot everybody live their own life in their own homes (and churches or whatever) and assimilate into the majority culture otherwise?

Isn't that what wanting to live in a foreign (at first) country is all about?

You know I am planning to move to Canada within two years. And the reason I want to move is because I always liked British culture and began to like the (Anglo-)Canadian offshoot. I also like French culture and was happy to find an offshoot of that in Canada as well.

And when I have moved, I will not be one of many Canadian cultures, I will try and become a CANADIAN. If I wanted anything else, I would go somewhere else.

This does not mean that I am opposed to multiculturalism per se. I just don't see the importance. If I can live my own life with those I want to live it with and nobody has a right to take that away from me, what other recognition of my own culture do I need?

 
At Sunday, 22 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess we can't all be Pierre Pettigrew's chauffeur.

 
At Sunday, 22 January, 2006, Blogger Canadi-anna said...

I was bothered by this as well. Does this preclude all lower income people from ever serving as PM?

 
At Sunday, 22 January, 2006, Blogger Jonathan said...

Where has Liberal foreign policy in the last 13 years gotten us? Only Canadians think the world cares about Canada. I always wonder, don't the Italians think their country is the greatest in the world? Don't the Dutch or Swedes or Indians? Fine, we're all allowed to be proud of where we live. But when Canada is compared with the world we get this (from the Toronto Sun http://www.torontosun.com/News/Election/2006/01/22/1405861-sun.html):

211 Economy: 12th among industrialized nations, according to Conference Board of Canada (down from 3rd in 2003).
212 Competitiveness: 14th, according to World Economic Forum (down from 4th in 1997).
213 Health care: 30th in efficiency, according to World Health Organization.
214 Ethics: 14th, says Transparency International, due to "marked increase" in corruption (down from 5th).
215 Military spending: 153rd out of 192 countries, based on percentage of GDP; 14th in per-capita spending.
216 Peacekeeping: 36th, according to UN.
217 Personal income tax burden: Highest in G-8, says OECD.
218 Marginal tax rates: Second only to China, says C.D. Howe Institute.

AD, also check out this article from George F. Will from the WaPo, about WalMart being mugged by the government because of its success:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/18/AR2006011801873.html?nav=hcmodule

 
At Sunday, 22 January, 2006, Blogger Jarrett said...

Canadiana and Anon, right on.

I was going to say that Stephen Harper didn't have to plug for a Quebec water purification company right after the Tsunami, so he didn't have the opportunity to pretend to care about Sri Lankans like Paul Martin did.

Oh well. I suppose Paul Martin does have a better handle on Liberia, Barbados etc. than Harper does, though. Gotta give him credit where credit's due.

 
At Thursday, 15 July, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

借錢 借貸 票貼

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home