Monday, February 06, 2006

Not cool Stephen.

So I watched the last bit of the swearing in ceremony during my lunch hour, and I can honestly say it was a HUGE disappointment. Harper made three unbelievably dumb moves already:

1. Accepting the David Emerson defection. Geez Stephen! I mean couldn't you have waited at least one year after you were sworn in? This right after the election is a terrible message to send to the voters, basically what you stated with this is that you didn't mean dick when you said you wanted democratic renewal.

I remember how pissed I was when Belinda defected from the party during her days, so for the first time in 13 years, let me just tell any Grit who is reading this today: I understand your frustration and in no way do I approve of this.

2. Michael Fortier as Public Works minister? Patronage? Unelected Senate?

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO END ALL THAT

3. Gordon O'Connor as Defense Minster? After the Federal Accountability Act would forbid lobbyists from entering politics until a 5 year cooling period?
What a disgusting sell out of values.

Dumb Dumb Dumb! My god! I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am with all this. I think for the sake of my blood pressure I won't pay attention to politics from now until I leave for vacation on Friday.

Update: Thanks goes out to Japnaam Singh who cleared up the O’Connor mess:
The Accountability act is actually the opposite.

It is designed to prevent public servants, bureaucrats and politicians from leaving government service in order to lobby the government (as a registered lobbyist) for a few years after their service in government.

O'Connor had left a private post in order to join the government.

It isn't the same thing and there's nothing (as far as I can see) that's wrong with it.

Looks like he’s in the clear. Still a little too close for comfort in my opinion, but that’s life.

5 Comments:

At Monday, 06 February, 2006, Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said...

It's kinda reassuring though isn't it? We really DO have continuity of government. They really ARE all the same. It's oddly comforting.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....


The more things change....

 
At Monday, 06 February, 2006, Blogger Jarrett said...

Pretty much, AK.

I wrote them a note which will be ignored, basically going over what you said.

Hell, I never even noticed the Gordon O'Connor thing.

 
At Tuesday, 07 February, 2006, Blogger DazzlinDino said...

Agreed 100%, not a very smart move....

 
At Tuesday, 07 February, 2006, Blogger Japnaam Singh said...

Regarding Gordon O'Connor:

The Accountability act is actually the opposite.

It is designed to prevent public servants, bureaucrats and politicians from leaving government service in order to lobby the government (as a registered lobbyist) for a few years after their service in government.

O'Connor had left a private post in order to join the government.

It isn't the same thing and there's nothing (as far as I can see) that's wrong with it.

 
At Thursday, 15 July, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

借貸 借錢 票貼

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home